Friday, September 4, 2009

TOPIC 4 HUMAN CENTRED COMPUTING: HUMAN INTERFACES


Exercise 4.1 Blog or Wiki design
1. How would I design and manage content in a blog? Well I'm already doing it. I use titles to organise my work. As with this blog I use the title of each topic as my main theme then list the exercise into the body of the blog. For the use of colour I only liked the one and I have no intention of changing anything as I'm paranoid that I will lose my formatting :( I love how this blog automatically saves for you. It is very simple to use similar to word as it offers different fonts, weight and colours for text. bullet and numbering options are available as with alignment of text, insertion of images and video, (not brave enough to attempt that at this time). Also has , and this is a big plus! it spell checks:) You can also revisit posts and edit them at any time.

2. What supportive tools are similar to the design advice offered? It is very easy to become a member of this blogger site. You need a valid e-mail account and it doesn't ask too many questions when you set up the account. You can allow your blog site to be found by search engines. According to Morley & Parker, pg. 346 (2007) "There are news services which monitor blogs on a daily basis .....watching up to 100,000 pages a day."
Unless you set up your blog for multiple authors, such as what you would use to collaborate on a project most blogs are an individual online personal journal. I would have to therefore say that Kim's, (2000a) nine design requirements are not met by blogger.com. Kim's (2000b) underlying principles are met at point one and two. Yes! blogger is designed for growth and change, currently there are 70 Million blogs today, http://www.blogherald.com/2005/07/19/blog-count-for-july-70-million-blogs/ with that many blogs any site that can't adapt to this would no longer be available to users and blogger.com has been available since 1999. You don't have to have feedback to your blog, it still exists without it. If you required feedback for it to be usable to your community you could have followers who post to your blog. Do members take control over their own blog? To some degree they do, you can say who can post and whether you want your blog seen by others.

No comments:

Post a Comment