Sunday, August 23, 2009

TOPIC 1 SOCIAL NETWORKING, WORKGROUPS Exercise 1

Exercise 1. Social networking and online communities what do I know? Nothing really. I have read a bit about this topic, seen it on TV, but I personally don't use the computer and Internet to correspond to others unless it is for uni or work and then it is only e-mailing. I don't have the Internet at home and use prepaid for uni, I don't want to use the Internet for anything but preparation for school lessons and background material. Sounds pretty archaic.
Will a study into online communities and social networks change my professional practice? Only as far as using the facilities in a connected classroom. Most social sites are banned by the DET to students in K6 and there use is not encouraged.
I have include a piece of correspondence from the DET ICT help desk in response to a quest to have a website unblocked, this site encourages students to become better writers.
Summary: Website Unblock RequestYour reported Incident has been resolved with the following resolution:www.tikatok.com Regarding your request that the above URL be unblocked.Sites with this categorisation (media sharing) are locked to DET school students by Senior Officer determination.
Online communities I know this involves Facebook, Second Life, Twitter maybe once again I'm not familiar with these and I only got onto Facebook as it was requested by this course to become a member. I went to a CyberSafety course recently and saw the story about the girl who has 250,000 (I think that is right) friends, she had been sick and spent a long time recuperating she admitted that she only really knew very few of these so called friend personally. While at the Cyber Safety course we watched an episode of HACK TV which says nothing is private and you can easily get into a persons site. So this is the reason I'm not particularly happy with any online activities. I know the 21st Century learning is going in these directions but.........
What do I seee as the connnection between social network platforms and the development of online communities? I suppose as more and more people find like minded people they will develop a closeness and rely on each other to supply goods and services etc.


Social networking Wow! want an easy explanation on social networking look at this on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a_KF7TYKVc it is simple and can be licensed for use in the work place, it really helped my understanding :)
Additional surfing on the Internet found this site http://www.whatissocialnetworking.com/
It states that a social network is a group of likeminded people who have come together over the Internet. They use the Internet as there are millions of individuals looking for others with like thoughts, ideas and hobbies. Diversity is one of the benefits as you can meet others from different countries to share your experiences with. You are no longer bound by your countries borders. Examples of social networks are MySpace, Yahoo!, Facebook etc.


Online communities before I looked into this I thouoght I may not have done any collaborative online projects. I was wrong I have taken my students on a virtual field trip to the museum and am using the connected classroom with the students in 5/6 in a online astronomy project with 20 other schools. I have also been involved in travel buddies. So I think an online community is linked by the Internet and are not necessarily friends, they just use the Internet or email for keeping in touch! It appears you use web tools, for example Twitter to keep in touch. So to inform the uninformed here is a You Tube site to help with this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddO9idmax0o
So now I think they are your friend also so I still don't know the difference between Social networking and Online communities. I don't think I will get involved in this unless I have too....

No comments:

Post a Comment